Bathroom renovation is quite a big job! There is a lot of work and much of it should only be done by professionals as making mistakes can lead to damage in other parts of your home due to water leaks. But if you’re interested in what the process involves I have detailed the steps in bathroom renovation below.
The steps involved:
- demolish and remove the existing bathroom fittings and fixtures
- leveling the walls and plaster for tiling and decorating
- repairs and plastering to ceiling (if needed)
- levelling the floor and installing new moisture resistant chip board
- waterproofing the floor using specialist matting and sealant
- new bathroom installation: toilet, bath, sink & taps, shower, shower screen
- Installation of new wiring & electrics
- tiling of the walls and floor
- painting adding skirting boards and other woodwork
Bathroom Renovation: Picking your bathroom suite
When deciding on a new bathroom suite its important to take into account a few things:
- How much space do you have to work with.
- What is your budget.
- Are there any access problems (tight stair ways).
- And of course the style that you want.
Bathroom Renovation: How Long Does It Take
The length of time to renovate your bathroom depends on the size of the bathroom, the number of units you are having installed as well as the number of gadgets you want installed. Typically a family bathroom takes about a week and a half to complete the job. If you are looking for a more specific time frame I suggest calling a few plumbers and getting them to quote for the job and give you an idea about time scales.
Bathroom Renovation: Who To Choose
It is possible to do most of the work yourself. But as i mentioned at the start of the blog is it a big job and there are some technically difficult elements that should not be attempted by amateurs. So as a qualified plumber and an experienced bathroom installer I would recommend getting a professional to do it. The best approach is to contact 3 different bathroom installers and get them to come and do a quote.
How Much Does It Cost?
Professional bathroom installation costs around £5,000 for the full demolition, removal and installation of the new suite. Prices vary depending on the size of the bathroom and where you are in the country (unfortunately London is more expensive as usual). You should also add the cost of the new bathroom suite.
Home Glow Can Help
We have over 20 years experience of bathroom installation and we are fully qualified plumbers. If you are looking to have your bathroom renovated in North West London or Hertfordshire give us a call on 07875 443 632 or get in touch using our contact page. We’re always happy to answer questions and provide quotes for work.